Sunday, December 28, 2008

Favorite New Christmas Song

As the Christmas season draws to a close we can still look back fondly on our favorite holiday recordings whether it’s sung by Ella Fitzgerald or Porky the Pig. But then there are the perennial parade of artists who eggnog it up with cringe-inducing results causing an early onset of Fa-la-la Fatigue. I use Pandora to avoid that as much as possible and I hope to god that no one actually purchase these songs for anymore than coal stuffers. However, I have come across a true gem of a new Christmas time favorite that will from this point forward be considered a classic by me. The tune isn't about angels or Santa or pine trees. Call it a sci-fi Christmas carol.

The dark, hilarious lyrics of Jonathan Coulton's "Chiron Beta Prime" can only be described as a holiday-newsletter-meets-cry-for-help, sung by a man enslaved on an asteroid by robot overlords. I know it doesn’t sound like a winner – but it is! I can't stop playing it!

Coulton is also actively involved in the movement known as Creative Commons, in which artists forgo traditional copyrights to retain more freedom in sharing their work. I like that idea.

For your enjoyment click below to partake in a complete fan video of what has become my new favorite Christmas Song.


No comments:

Post a Comment