Friday, January 2, 2009

Equality for Some

As a rule I would steer clear of any movie with an overt political message. However the film Milk espouses a lot of messages that I believe in, including equal rights for everyone and a belief in the transformative power of community organizing. I wasn’t prepared for how powerful the messages would be and for that very reason I believe this is a movie that has universal appeal. I applaud them for not making it some sugar coated film that tries to rewrite history. It shows people as the human we are - flawed, but true. That in itself was refreshing for a movie that also has a message.

The movie tells the story of Harvey Milk, a gay man who moves to San Francisco’s Castro district and who encounters bigotry due to his lifestyle. Motivated by a desire for social change and acceptance, Milk becomes the first openly gay man ever elected to public office (City Supervisor, 1978).

In my mind, the film’s messages of hope intermingled with the bittersweet knowledge that our culture has taken steps backwards since 1978 on recognizing equal rights for all people. Sitting there in the theater, with the film’s final tear-jerking shot, it was difficult to know how to feel. I left with hope as I do do hope that in my lifetime these injustices will seem as outdated as segregation does today.

No comments:

Post a Comment